Wednesday, April 3, 2013


I've seen a few interesting signs while we have been here, so thought I'd share a few with you.  As you can probably tell, we are eating quite well here and my "shrinking" pants are a good indication of my lack of will power when it comes to good, cheap food.  But even with my expanding waistline I would be a bit reluctant to patronize these businesses:
This is Fast Food Fati on Bill Clinton Blvd. in Prishtina.  Might not be a good name for a fast food joint in the US.  After a few meals there I would probably have to buy my new clothes at this place we saw in Struga, Macedonia.  On our drive back to Kosovo from Ohrid we passed a place called XXL Cafe, but passed it too quickly to snap a picture. 
Since we have been in Kosovo we have occasionally craved "ethnic" food that does not include qebaps, pleskavice, ayvar or other Albanian specialties.  We have tried the Thai, Indian and Mexican restaurants in "cosmopolitan" Prishtina and I got all excited when I spotted the sign below in the capital city:
However, on closer inspection I realized that it was a photocopy store and not a Vietnamese restaurant called Pho Toc Opy where we could get a hot bowl of our favorite beef pho soup.  Darn!!!

Since I'm showing some signs, I'll show a few more of some of our regular stops in Prizren to give you a little feel for our normal daily life.
Annette stopping to buy some roasted pumpkin seeds at the Tetova nut shop.  They have all sorts of seeds and nuts and snacks that you can buy hot for about one euro for a small bag.
A recent warm sunny weekend day brought out nearly every resident of Prizren to the Shadervan plaza area, but we were still able to find a table and enjoy some coffee and a little snack at our favorite embeltorja along the river.
A couple blocks from our apartment are 3 places I frequent on a regular basis.  They are very close to each other so they serve as my "7-11" convenience store for quick shopping trips.
This is my go-to place for meat, where I can pick up a kilo of "mish" for 6 euros and have my mish-man grind if for me while I wait.  Nothing better than a burger that was a big hunk of meat a few minutes before.
If there is a butcher you gotta have a baker, so here is the "furra" where I get a loaf of fresh-baked whole wheat bread, which the call black bread, for half a euro.  They don't speak English but they bake good bread.  They were apparently getting a load of firewood the day I took this photo.
Across the street from the Ralin Furra is the place I run to for the onion or carrot I need to complete a recipe or to get a bottle of mineral water or some bananas for Annette.  Not a big selection but nice fresh fruits and veggies.
This is a fancy dress store directly below our apartment in Prizren.  Kosovo is a poor country but you would never know it by all the dress shops along our street.  Weddings and other parties are a time to show off, so you can find an endless selection of sparkly dresses and jewelry in the shops along Adem Jashari Street below us.  I'm trying to talk Annette into buying a fancy sparkly dress before we leave Kosovo, but no luck so far.


1 comment:

  1. I love the photocopy one.. haha. I can just see you getting all excited!

    ReplyDelete